Sunday, April 23

Geylang Lorong 9 Frog Porridge

New Lai Lai Hong Yun Food Centre
235 Geylang Rd Lor 9 T. 7468105 (Closed on alternate Wed)

I have always been slightly apprehensive about frogs. I'd heard they tasted like chicken, but just the idea... urgh. Then add porridge to the mix, which I had only recently become open to (thanks to traumatic kindergarten experiences), and you can imagine that this was quite a big step for me.

But I was very taken by this meal.

We tried both the claypot frog with ginger and spring onions and that with dried chillies. Both were exceedingly good, though I preferred the sweetness of the former. The frog, well, it really did taste like chicken, but a juicier and more succulent version. The first bites were a bit difficult, but it was so yummy I quickly dismissed my inhibitions. The porridge was also nice and thick, and slid down the throat easily.

We also had an amazing oyster omelette and green veggies. Feel good factor: 100%

This conquered, I'm all set to hit the other frog porridge contender in Lorong 3!

Labels: